14 September, 2009

Comes the Dawn


In conversation with a new friend yesterday, I was reminded of this poem that I was very affected by when I first read it.  I came home and immediately looked for the book in which I knew I had first read the poem.  I found it in a book I had purchased several years ago entitled, “Please Don’t Say You Need Me,” although the author of that book (Jan Silvious) did not author this poem.  She included it in her work as additional support for her writing.

I offer the same here, as a poem that contains much truth and is as applicable today as it was for me back then.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

               Comes the Dawn

After a while you learn the subtle difference
     Between holding a hand and chaining a soul,
And you learn that love doesn’t mean leaning
     And company doesn’t mean security,
And you begin to understand that kisses aren’t contracts
     And presents aren’t promises,
And you begin to accept your defeats
     With your head held high and your eyes open,
With the grace of a woman, not the grief of a child.
     You learn to build your roads
On today because tomorrow’s ground
     Is too uncertain for plans, and futures have
A way of falling dowin in midflight.
     After a while you learn that even sunshine
Burns if you get too much,
     So you plant your own garden and decorate
Your own soul, instead of waiting
     For someone to bring you flowers.
And you learn that you really can endure,
     That you really are strong
And you really do have worth
     And you learn and learn . . . and you learn
With every goodbye you learn.
                                  - Veronica A. Shoffstall

Copyright ©2009.  All rights reserved.

2 comments:

  1. I love that poem so much! I found it maybe 15 or 20 years ago for sale as a poster in a catalog. The author is Veronica A. Shoffstall. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rapunzel: Thank you so much for bringing this author's name to my attention. This is an amazing poem filled with so many truths. I've altered the post to now include the author's name.

    Thanks again! Peace and blessings.

    -brian

    ReplyDelete



Ratings and Recommendations by outbrain